Dealing with your car breaking down is bad enough. Then you have to worry about what to do while your car is getting fixed. Many times, your car may be in the shop for an entire day or more. Most of us can’t go that long without our vehicle. We have to get ourselves or our kids to work or to school This means using a rental car. Great. Another expense on top of the repair bill!
If you run into this situation and need a rental car, there are some do’s and don’ts you can follow to make the best out of your experience.
- DO look for the best price. Take a few minutes and compare prices online from multiple companies. Also, look for coupons. A quick Google search using the rental car company name plus the word “coupon” or “discount” can help you find some deals. Also, when you go to pick up the rental car, ask about any other discounts like AAA, corporate, senior, etc.
- DO NOT prepay for gas. While this may seem like a good idea, you pay a premium for the convenience. Plan on an extra 5 – 10 minutes to fill up before you return the rental car instead.
- DO choose an economy car. Or the smallest size that will fit your needs, since you pay more for larger and/or nicer vehicles. When you reserve an economy car, be sure to ask about upgrades at the rental desk! They are often low in supply on the cheapest cars, so you may be able to get an upgrade for a minimal extra charge, or even for free!
- DO NOT rush the inspection. It is important to take a few minutes and carefully inspect the rental car! If there is anything wrong with the car and it’s not documented before you leave the rental lot, the rental company can hold you responsible. Take videos or pictures to have as a back up.
- DO drive responsibly. Many people get a little crazy with rental cars since they don’t own them, but you want to drive responsibly. Not only do you want to be safe on the road, but remember, you’re liable for any damage done to the car!
- DO NOT leave the final inspection to chance. Many rental car companies now have you simply park the vehicle and leave the key inside of it as their method of return. However, we recommend you request an employee to inspect your vehicle before you leave. If they are unable to or no one is there to do an inspection, take pictures and/or video of the vehicle so you can prove how you left it.
- DO have an extended vehicle warranty. Many of these plans offer vehicle warranty benefits, like rental reimbursement coverage! How nice would that be to have in case your car gets stuck in the shop for a full day or more? You can get the rental car you need and get reimbursed for part of the cost.
If your manufacturer’s warranty has expired (or will soon), we suggest you think about getting an extended vehicle warranty or vehicle protection plan! We invite you to contact autopom! today for your free quote! When you get a vehicle protection plan from autopom!, you get much more than just repairs. Here are more of the great features and benefits that autopom! offers:
- Protection against unplanned auto repair expenses due to mechanical failure after the manufacturer’s warranty expires.
- Your choice of repair shops.
- Roadside Assistance (including towing)
- Rental Car Assistance
- Tire Protection (some plans)
- Trip Interruption Reimbursement
- Your choice of a variety of plan options in terms of months and mileage.
- Convenient payment plans
- 30 or 60-day money-back guarantee and pro-rated thereafter
Contact autopom! today and let one of our friendly and knowledgeable agents help you! Third party providers, like autopom!, can give you great coverage for less money than packages offered through car dealerships, so you can have peace of mind and save even more money. And we promise to work with you to find you the best plan for your needs at a competitive price. Also licensed to sell in California! Contact autopom! today!