When you buy a new car, it comes with a manufacturer’s warranty that covers most repairs for a specified amount of time. However, buying a used car is different. Most used cars don’t have a warranty; any they do have are usually valid for only a short time.
Used cars are more likely to break down than new ones. You never know how well the previous owner cared for them or what mechanical problems they experienced. Pre-owned vehicles can break down suddenly, sometimes needing costly repairs. If you don’t have readily available money to pay for those repairs, you may have to scramble to get it unless you have an extended warranty for used cars.
What is an Extended Warranty for Used Cars?
Vehicle protection plans (VPP) or vehicle service contracts (VSC) are available for used cars. These plans are commonly called extended warranties, though they are not true warranties offered by the manufacturer. Instead, they are contracts between the buyer and the provider to pay for covered car repairs.
Buyers can choose different levels of coverage. Some plans cover only essential components in critical vehicle systems, while others provide protection for almost all parts of your car.
Buying a vehicle service contract or protection plan gives you peace of mind knowing that car repairs won’t cause a financial crisis. Although you’ll probably pay a small deductible, you won’t have to come up with hundreds or thousands of dollars.
Why Should You Buy a VSC or VPP?
Purchasing one of these plans has several benefits:
- They protect you from unexpected repair bills.
- They give you peace of mind.
- You can choose the level of coverage that you want.
- Many plans include extra benefits.
- Some providers allow you to transfer their protection plan to the buyer if you sell your covered vehicle, making your vehicle more valuable.
- Affordable monthly payments. Get a FREE no-hassle quote.
Should You Buy a Plan From Used Car Dealers or Independent Companies?
Some used car dealers sell VPPs or VSCs and allow you to include that cost in your financing. While that may sound like a good idea, there are definitely drawbacks.
If you buy an extended warranty for used cars from a dealer, you’ll likely have to take your vehicle to that dealer for any repairs. Independent sellers allow you to take your vehicle to any ASE certified repair shop nationwide. In addition, if you purchase from the dealer, you’ll pay interest on your coverage plan if you roll it into your vehicle’s financing. Many independent sellers allow you to make interest-free monthly payments. Get a FREE, no-hassle quote.
How Do You Choose a Provider?
Many companies sell extended VPPs and VSCs. It’s good to compare quotes from up to three of them; however, make sure that the level of coverage for each policy is the same. Besides cost, you’ll also want to consider other factors:
- How long has the company been in business?
- Do they provide competent customer service?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Do they offer any perks?
- What do customer reviews say about them?
- Where can you go for repairs?
- When does coverage begin?
Autopom! is a highly rated company that partners with top providers to give you several VPP and VSC options. We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and we have served satisfied clients for over 11 years. Take a look at our FAQ page for answers to commonly asked questions. Get a FREE no-hassle quote from autopom!
What Does autopom! Offer?
We have three levels of VPPs and VSCs for you to choose from.
Powertrain Plus plans cover essential engine, drive axle, transmission, and air conditioning system components. Some basic electrical parts are also covered; these vary by the specific plan.
These plans cover most major vehicle systems, including A/C, braking, drive axle, electrical, engine, steering, and transmission. We’ll provide you with a list of components that are covered.
Exclusionary plans are similar to new car warranties in that they assume your total vehicle is covered with the exception of specified exclusions. Typical exclusions are batteries, routine maintenance, and tires.
Autopom! plans also provide additional benefits. These can vary by plan, so be sure to check what each plan offers.
- 30-60 Day Money Back Guarantee – You can request a full refund within 30 days if you’re not satisfied with our coverage.
- Choice of Repair Shop – You choose where to take your vehicle for covered repairs.
- Emergency Roadside Assistance – You get roadside assistance 24/7.
- Nationwide Coverage – No matter where you are in the U.S. or Canada, you can take your vehicle to any licensed repair shop for covered repairs.
- Payment Plan – You don’t have to pay for your plan in a lump sum; you can take advantage of our interest-free payment plan options.
- Rental Vehicle Assistance – All autopom! plans provide rental vehicle assistance during the time your car undergoes an authorized repair. Check your plan’s documentation for terms and conditions.
- Tire Protection – Some of our plans offer tire protection that helps pay for damages caused by nails, potholes, and other road hazards.
- Trip Interruption – You may qualify for some unused trip fund reimbursement if your vehicle breaks down during a trip.
- Transferable – If you sell your covered vehicle, you can transfer ownership of your VPP to the new owner for a fee.
When Should You Buy a VPP or VSC?
Most of these plans base both eligibility and pricing according to your vehicle’s age, mileage, and other factors. The sooner you purchase a plan, the less it will cost and your vehicle will qualify for better coverage.
Are You Ready To Get a Quote for an autopom! Extended Warranty for Used Cars?
Autopom! offers several ways for you to get in touch with us. If you have questions about our plans and services, fill out a quote request, email us, or call us at (800) 724-8141. Give us the opportunity to show you why so many customers recommend autopom! to buy an extended warranty for used cars. Get a FREE no-hassle quote from autopom!